Registrar's Office

General Information


One academic year consists of two 16-week semesters, including end of semester examination periods. Summer School can be offered, when necessary.


Students are required to complete their course registrations at the beginning of each semester within the period announced in the Academic Calendar and get them approved by their advisor. Students, who fail to register within this period, will not be able to take the courses and exams in that semester.

ADD/DROP AND COURSE WITHDRAW (For Undergraduate and Associate Students)

Students can change courses during the first two weeks of the academic year providing they meet the terms for their course load.

Additionally, they can withdraw from a course until the end of the 10th week of the semester upon the recommendation of the advisor and the approval of the lecturer giving the course. In that case, their grade for that course would be grade “W”. Students can withdraw from one course at most in each semester.

Students in associate/undergraduate degree programs are not allowed to withdraw from courses during the first two semesters. Associate students are allowed to withdraw from 2 courses the most, undergraduate students are allowed to withdraw from 6 courses the most during their entire study.

COURSE LOAD (For Undergraduate and Associate Students)

The regular course load of a student for each semester is specified in the course program of the Department concerned. Repeated courses are not considered within regular course load.

Unsuccessful students, in order to obtain specified cumulative grade point averages, may take courses from current or lower grades they have not taken before, may re-take failed courses, or courses they want to get higher grades for. These students, if approved by their advisors, may take new courses among the Elective Courses, Common Compulsory Courses, and/or General Education Courses and Second Foreign Languages Courses. Such courses will be limited to the regular course load of the respective semester and they cannot exceed a total of two courses. 

A student’s regular course load for each semester may be;

increased by no more than two courses in total of 6 ECTS credits with the request of the student and the approval of the advisor for students with a general point average of minimum of 2.00,

increased by no more than three courses in total of 12 ECTS credits with the request of the student and the approval of the advisor for students with a general point average of minimum of 2.50.

Students, who qualify to graduate at the end of the academic year/semester, can take no more than three courses in total of 18 ECTS credits with the approval of the advisor.


A prerequisite course is a course, which a student is required to pass before being allowed to take another one. The lists of the courses with a prerequisite course are stated in the course programs on the website.

For example, the prerequisite course of the course “CE 221 Data Structures and Algorithms” is “SE 116 Introduction to Programming II” at the department of Computer Engineering. Students who want to register to CE 221 must take and pass SE 116 before.


Students are required to attend 70% of the theoretical courses, and 80% of the practical courses. Students, who do not meet the attendance requirements, are not allowed to take the examinations. The students’ attendance is supervised by the lecturer concerned and the Registrar's Office announces the non-attendees before the final exams. Non-attendees are not allowed to take the final examinations.

REPEATING A COURSE  (For Undergraduate and Associate Students)

Students, who have received an FF, FD, NA, W or U in any course, or have not taken a course during the regular semester, needs to repeat it in the first semester the course is offered.

However, if approved by the advisor, they can take it in the following semesters as well.

Students can also repeat a course with a grade of DD. For repeated courses, the most recent grade will be valid.


Students, who took an elective course and failed or who withdrew (got W grade) from the course, can take another elective course instead of that course just for one time only. Such change is indicated on the transcript but not taken into account while calculating the CGPA.

Students, who want to change a course, should apply to the Registrar's Office within course registration period and fill out and submit “Elective Course Change Form“.